Monday, July 14, 2008

Some thoughts from yesterday

Yesterday was a wonderful day! It was one of those days in which I'm incredible grateful for the privilege of being a pastor!
- Since we didn't have a lot of sound equipment, set-up and tear-down were really quick and painless. Noel was pulling away the trailer at 12:15!
- Ryan did a wonderful job leading our music. Ryan is one of the most genuine guys I know and he has a strong, vibrant commitment to Christ. I believe Ryan's ability to lead corporate worship flows from the vitality of his relationship with Christ.
- I had a serious encounter with God during yesterday's music, as did my wife. This past week was really difficult, but we were both able to experience a few moments where our worries and pain melted away while we were overwhelmed by the goodness of God.
- I had planned to cite my sources for yesterday's sermon during the blessing, but I forgot. My two main sources for yesterday's sermon was a message from Rob Bell's series, "Calling All Peacemakers" and Jim Wallis' book, "God's Politics: Why the Right gets it wrong and the Left doesn't get it." I'd highly recommend both of these listens/reads.
- There's a running joke among those of us who go to Gambino's EVERY single Sunday after church. The joke is, "where should we go to lunch?" "I don't know, let's try something different, like Gambino's." Thanks, I'll be here all week. If you haven't make the trek to TFC East (Gambino's) after worship, do it sometime soon. Cheap lunch specials.
- Some of our teens leave for Juarez, Mexico this Saturday morning! I was talking with Michelle Corbin and she said she's so excited she's having trouble sleeping. It's going to be an amazing experience for this group.
- David Brush and I got in 18 holes of disc golf on Sunday afternoon. You don't get much more beautiful weather in July.
- I had an amazing conversation with a fairly new family last night. Being a pastor means I have an incredible opportunity to both observe the steps people take in their spiritual journey as well as leading them into some new territory.
- I spent the last 1 1/2 hours of my day running through my lines for the millionth time. And yet, I still keep making some dumb, little mistakes.
- Which reminds me, we've got 4 complimentary tickets since we took out an add in the program. The first person/family to tell me they're taking some unchurched friends to the show can have the tickets. You need to let me know the night, though, so I can get the correct tickets.

No comments: