Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Fighters of Foo




I'm not a big concert goer, but when I heard the Foo was coming to town, I had to get tickets. I even went against my normal cheapness and bought lower level tickets. The tickets were well worth it, during their acoustic set, the stage (which dropped from the ceiling) was 50-75 yards away from us. It's almost like there were two concerts, from the acoustic set to the rock sets.

Dave sang "Everlong" by in the spotlight by himself on the acoustic stage, while the rest of the band walked back to the main stage. Just as it seemed the song had slowed to its final chord, Dave hit one more chord on the guitar, threw his hair back, the lights on the main stage came on and the rest of the band came into the song full blast. They had a lot of timing effects like that that were very impressive.

Dave Grohl knows how to put on a show. I don't think however that he knew what city he was in and I know he wasn't sure what day of the week it was. While he was quite humorous when talking, Forrest Gump could best summarize Grohl's stand-up shtick, "for whatever reason, that man sure loved saying the F-word. And every time he said the F-word, people would cheer real loud." Grohl continued reminding us of how lucky we were that they weren't like other loser bands that only plan for 1 1/2 hours and that since they don't suck like they used to (his words) they have enough good songs to play for 2 1/2 hours, which they did. We certainly got our money's worth.

They didn't play many non-radio songs off their newest album, so I didn't get to hear "Come Alive" which bummed me out. But I was correct in guessing they'd close with "Best of You." I had a spiritual experience while they were playing and the crowd was singing that song; WOW!!!

I'm usually in bed by 10:00 on Saturday night but I didn't get into bed until after 1:30 last night. It would've been sooner, but they talked me into going to Waffle House. Fortunately, Zach talked me into sleeping in on Sunday morning (I didn't get up until 8:09 and didn't get to church until 9:00) so I was completely alert for leading worship and giving my annual report.

They also talked me into joining them in wearing the concert shirt we bought last night. Chris waited too long and couldn't get the cool one and for some reason, Nate didn't buy one. So, for the first time in the history of our church, I wore a t-shirt on a Sunday morning. Since our we have the best Foo cover band (at least among church bands) it would be okay. But considering the bomb-looking thing on the front of the shirt and that I preached on non-violent resistance last Sunday, I might have been sending mixed messages. What's the preacher line, "do as I say, not as I wear?"

1 comment:

Aaron Bonham said...

Even if I could afford a bomb such as the one on your t-shirt, I'll be sure to remember not to buy one and use it. Sounds like a fun concert, glad you got to make up for your late night with a little extra sleep this morning.