Sunday, July 20, 2008

My interview with the Gardner News

So, I got some crap at practice the other night after the article on The Music Man came out in the Gardner News. What I thought sounded funny while talking on the phone with the lady doing the interview, didn't seem so funny in print. I told Franci, our director, that I was just setting her up. If I actually dance well, then she looks good for "coaching me up," if I suck, people know it isn't her fault.
I'm hoping Gardner News prints a correction; "contrary to what we printed on July 16th, Donnie Miller pastors Trinity Family Church and he's a HE, not a She. But there's no such thing as bad publicity, right? I just copied this off the website (which probably breaks copyright regulations) because you'd need a password to read it. So, buy a paper for $1 this week and keep my butt out of jail.

Danedri Thompson
dthompson@gardnernews.com
Seventy-six trombones and a big parade will march onto the Gardner Edgerton High School auditorium stage in late July when the Gardner Community Theater opens its production of "The Music Man."
The cast is a cross section of the local community including more than children and adults.
Annie Biggs is the show’s music director. Since early June, she’s been working with soloists, ensembles and the entire cast from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
"I think it’s a great community builder to bring neighbors and friends and families together to see a great family show," she said.
Like most good stories, "The Music Man" centers on the romance between characters Harold Hill, a con man, and Marian, the librarian.
Harold arrives in River City, Iowa, as the community’s billiard parlor installs a new pool table. According to Harold, that stands for trouble with a capital, "T." He tells parents "that game with the 15 numbered balls is the devil’s tool."
He convinces the townspeople to allow him to create a boys band to counter the evil at the billiard parlor. The only problem: Harold knows nothing about music.
But Marian, the town’s librarian, does. Harold flirts with the librarian in an attempt to charm her away from learning his secret. When Marian’s younger brother, Winthrop, gains confidence with his shiny, new band instrument, Marian falls for Harold.
Donnie Miller, pastor at Trinity Church in Gardner, portrays Harold in the production. It will be his first time in a large musical. He found a flyer about auditions in a Wal-Mart shopping cart and decided to try out.
"It’s one of my favorite musicals," she said. "I grew up in a river city in Iowa. so I really identified with the place."
Originally, he was going to sign up for the chorus.
"The directors talked me into trying out for a main part," he said. "In high school I sang in a group. I sang in a show choir. But I was one of the worst dancers. I haven’t done any music since high school really."
Gardner townspeople will recognize much of the music, according to Biggs.
"This a show a lot of people know," she said. "I think that will also help bring people in to come see the show."
Some of the more popular songs in the musical include, "Gary, Indiana," "Seventy-six Trombones," and "Goodnight my Someone." But the music isn’t the only thing Biggs thinks will interest viewers.
"It’s awesome seeing all of the talent that is in and around Gardner and the people that are making up the show," she said. "And I just get goose bumps, especially at the scene where Marian and Harold figure out they’re in love. It’s awesome."
The show opens on July 25 at 7 p.m. at the Gardner Edgerton High School auditorium. It will run on July 26 at 7 p.m. and on July 27 at 2 p.m. Tickets are available at Price Chopper

No comments: