Saturday, March 31, 2007

Proud of my Alma Mater

A few weeks ago, Mid America Nazarene University hosted the the group Soul Force. Soul Force's mission statement is "Freedom for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance." Soul Force is a group committed to teaching how same-sex relationships do not violate God's guidance in scripture.

I'm proud of MNU for the hospitality they offered Soul Force. You can read their blog entry here. You can also search around and see how negatively some of the other schools treated them.

This is exactly the way we're to respond to people who hold different views than we do; with love and honest. We're honest about our interpretations of scripture while still validating the other person's worth as a human being, even if we disagree.

I'm also proud of my Alma matter for winning the 2007 NAIA Division II national championship.

By the way, if you'd like to hear my message, "Can Christians be gay?" click on our website and scroll down the list of sermons until you find that message. I'd never had so many people ask for a preview of my sermon as the couple weeks leading up to that message. We had a big crowd there that day to hear what I was going to say.

1 comment:

Derin Beechner (Durk Niblick) said...

I too am proud of my Alma Mater! I saw the story before they had posted their blog response and waited with anticipation to read the response. MNU welcomed these folks to campus and dialogued with them! WAY TO GO! Way to be Christ.