Saturday, October 25, 2008

Atchison, KS




This week was my 2nd annual sermon planning retreat, where I study for and schedule my sermons for 2009. Just like last year, I spent my time at the Benedictine Monestary in Atchison. I was able to map out the entire year with the exception of 2009's Advent but I really wasn't able to study or pray much. Unfortunately, I spent half my time putting out some fires on the homefront. I was finally able to be decompressed, focused and in a studying stride by Friday afternoon. Since I'd been keeping track of potential series for 2009, mapping them out didn't require intense study.
I'm taking a bit of a different approach to my preaching for 2009, compared to 2008. I'm going to preach some series I got from other church's and authors for part of the year and I'll take about 16 weeks during the spring and summer to preach through Romans. I think it will be a 'balanced attack' for my preaching. About half the year doing some 'felt-needs' series inspired by other preachers much better than that than myself and about half the year preaching through an intense NT book.

I was able to walk around town and along the Missouri River and snap some pictures. Right after a difficult phone conversation, this helped me get refocused. Just like last fall, Atchison made me a bit homesick for my hometown of Fort Madison, IA. Both towns have beautiful old houses and trees, large cathedrals, brick streets and are nestled along a major river. I"ll post a few of my favorite pictures, if you want to see all of them, you can do so in this facebook album.

1 comment:

Rachel Shaffer said...

take heart! you'll get to see ol Ft Mad in just a few weeks!!! Can't wait to see you guys at Thanksgiving. How long are you staying?