Monday, March 10, 2008

Challenges of being portable

At the Evolve Conference last month, I got fired up about being portable. As I shared the next Sunday, "buildings don't reach people, people reach people." This post also fired me up about being portable.

This week has been a bit of a challenge to our portability. Last Sunday, our truck started acting up and we had to spend several hundred dollars to fix it.
And after this Sunday, we're going to have to spend more money to fix the jack on our trailer.

Since my dad was in town, I figured we'd give Brian and the trailer-pullers a break and pull the trailer for them. I originally put on the wrong hitch, the one that's too close to the ground. When I realized this, we had to start cranking the trailer back up to put on the hitch that sets higher off the ground. But, the jack handle was really stiff, needed oil and was so hard to turn, it was killing me. Just as dad said, "this thing's going to break" the handle snapped off.

Not good.

This was a scary as the Sunday the key broke off in our padlock. Thankfully, the tongue was up high enough that we jacked it up (with a car jack) just a bit more and were able to hook it onto the trailer hitch. With the help of the pipe wrench that's been in the truck since the key incident, we were able to lower it back down over the ball on the trailer hitch. But the jack was still dragging on the ground, so my dad used a brick and some baling wire (the number one tool of a farmer) and we were able to 'fix' it.

The trailer didn't get to the school until about 8:40 but we were still set up with time to spare.
Our set-up guys are incredible.

This is one more example of why I should just stick to preaching!

No comments: