Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our nets are filling up!

Our SOAP passage the other day was Luke 5:1-11. The following is my journal entry from that day.

Wow! This is exactly what's happening at our church right now. I've spent 2 1/2 years working, striving, praying for God to use us to reach unchurched people and over the last 6 months, we've been doing exactly that! Peter is working and trying so hard but not getting anywhere. I've certainly felt that way at times, lots of times. I'd get so frustrated when unchurched families would come for a few weeks and then drop out. I can relate to Peter when he says, "we worked hard all last night and didn't catch a thing." Man, I've been there. Maybe I'll be there again. But right now I feel as if the nets are filling up. These 5 new unchurched families giving their lives to Jesus and connecting with the church - that's really a miracle sent by God that I have nothing to do with. I know I need to keep working hard, but so much of this is beyond my control.

Rick Warren talks about riding the wave when God sends it. I feel as if that's happening. That due to no cause of my own, God is sending a wave. How do I capitalize on it? By continuing to invest in the new people he's sent our way.

If what's happening is that we're harvesting/ reaping the hard work and prayers from 6 months to a year ago, it means that our hard work and prayer right now will matter 6 months from now, too. That it matters what we do. Doing the right things over and over will produce results whenever God chooses to bless that work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on!