Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I'm doing it, for the first time ever, making a list of New Year's resolutions. These are things I've been seriously considering over the past couple months and I know that if I make them public I'll be held accountable.

Personal
  • Jog 12 miles per week, although I need to fix my treadmill first
  • Do my ab workout on the running off days
  • Finally get to 3 plates on my bench press and 4 plates on my box squat
  • Spend 3 hours per week in personal Bible study
  • Begin studying French
  • Attend some sort of coaching training event
  • Read the Bible with my wife before going to bed
  • Fast every week from Monday noon to Tuesday noon

Pastoral

I've decided it's time to stop worry about things that are out of my control and to actually let God be in control of His church. This means that I'm going to entrust God with growing TF numerically so I can focus on growing people. There are two groups of people in which I'll be investing most of my time: our Advisory Council and the unchurched people God has entrusted us with. With that in mind, here are my specific goals.

  • Redesign the structure of our Advisory Council so we have leaders over each of the 5. Finish this by spring
  • Personally invest in the new people who were previously unchurched (I have a list on my desk)
  • Spend 3 hours per week in prayer for TF.
  • Find more ways to emphasize the 5 during Sunday morning worship
  • Read 1 chapter a day of a ministry related book.
  • Equip the church for personal Bible study (coming this Sunday) or as the pastor from whom I heard of this plan called it, "develop a self-feeding program."
  • Focus on our Fav Five (coming soon)

No comments: