Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Uncomfortable

During my workout tonight, Jason convinced me to change my squat stance to a wider stance. After just a few reps with very light weight, I quit because it was killing my knees. My tendons weren't used to the different angle. But I pushed through it and ended up being somewhat comfortable with the stance after a few sets of (still) light weight.

The reason for the new stance is that it will give me more power. I'll have to work up to a comfort level but the wider stance will keep my muscles tight through the whole movement, allowing me to control and move more weight. I could've stayed in the familiar stance but it would've cost me in the long run. When I finally work through the learning curve, I'll be stronger than before.

Yep, that applies directly to our relationship with Christ. Also to our relationships with other people and the gifts God has given us. God often makes us uncomfortable so he can teach us new things.

This morning, Erin and I had a serious fight over a stupid incident involving a pink towel. We weren't really fighting about the towel, we were fighting over deeper issues. It was very painful to admit the attitudes of mine that lead to the fight and the way I made Erin feel.

Right after the 'pink towel' incident, I had my regular meeting with my accountability partner. In that conversation, I had to admit more uncomfortable things about my weaknesses, attitudes and temptations. Not comfortable for the short-term, but it will make me stronger in the long run.

Are you willing to be made uncomfortable?

By the way, I set a new personal record on the dead lift - 400 pounds!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the first person I have ever heard relate a walk with God to leg muscle and tendon strength. Nice!

Donnie Miller said...

That, my friend, is what you call creativity!