Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's all about Jesus

I should probably do this more often, but I want to post some thoughts from Tuesday's SOAP reading. The passage was Acts 3:1-10, I'd highlight verse 6, "But Peter said, 'I don't have any silver or gold for you. But I'll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk.'" By the way, that's the S (scripture) of SOAP.

Observation - That's really the whole point, following Jesus.

Application - This has been getting pounded into me the past few weeks. People don't need my "pastoral skills." People don't need the church. People need Jesus!!! Although the church and I work to point people toward Jesus, it's really all about Jesus. People need Jesus. For me personally, this means it's not about me. I don't need people to praise me, I want people to praise Jesus. As long as I'm faithfully teaching the same things Jesus taught, I can be okay with people getting mad at me. I don't need people to like me. I know this is extreme, but if hating me helps people love Jesus, I'd be okay with that. If people get mad at me for calling them to live by the standard Jesus taught, then I realize they may be directing their anger at me but the real problem isn't with me, it's with Jesus.

Prayer - Jesus, help me with this. Keep me focused on you. Help me to keep my eyes on you. Help me point others toward you.



Right out of Tuesday's journal.

No comments: