Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Knocked on doors in my neighborhood tonight

I'm halfway through my journey of praying 100 hours for Trinity Family and myself as her leader. I'll write more about this later, but God has been shaping me and speaking to me. Amazing how God speaks when we listen, huh?

Anyway, one of the many things I've been praying about is how Erin and I can serve our neighborhood. Not so we can get more people to come to TF (not that we're against that) but simply as a way to follow Jesus' example of service.

This blog entry from another pastor got me thinking along the lines of a neighborhood discussion group. I spent a lot of time asking God, "do you want me to do this?" and "what type of discussion group should this be?"

One morning an idea hit me like a ton of bricks - a discussion group on PARENTING! Gardner has more kids per capita than any other town in Kansas. The average ages is 30, we're young and full of kids. Even though Erin and I don't have kids yet, we knew this would be the way to connect with our neighborhood.

So, we're paying to bring in an instructor with "Parenting with Love and Logic." We're hosting the class for 6 Sunday nights.

I started knocking on doors tonight, handing people flyers and explaining what we're doing. I'm not real big on knocking on doors, but tonight was a lot of fun (despite the cold and wind). It was fun to watch people's face change from being skeptical of this guy in front of their door with a flyer to lighting up after I explain the idea. I got a lot of "that's really neat" and "cool, thanks!" I'm really excited about this.

During my prayer time this morning, God confirmed that this is how he's asking me to serve my neighborhood. Seeing parents' faces light up was further confirmation that this is an idea straight from Him!

Our first night is Sunday, April 15th. Be praying!

1 comment:

Evangelism Coach said...

You've got a great idea, and congrats on meeting all your neighbors. Instead of the big push to come to church, it's meeting a practical need.

I'd like to follow the story as it unfolds.

Pastor Chris
EvangelismCoach.org