Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Aragorn or Boromir?

I had 4 straight days off this weekend, it was great. This post is the last thing I'm doing before getting back to work tomorrow morning.

Over this past weekend, I was able to get my mom to watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy - all 12 hours! This was no small feat, especially considering the fact that my mom doesn't watch very many movies. Before the first movie I promised my mom she'd be glad she watched the movies. After the first few miniutes of fellowship, she was hooked.

Aragorn is a Christ figure in the story, he overcomes temptation, conquers death, leads his people to victory over evil and even receives his bride. Aragorn is faced with the tempation to take the ring of power, but he overcomes the temptation. He never seriously considers giving into the tempation.

Boromir, on the other hand, falls prey to the lure of the ring. He rationalizes his desire for the ring by convincing himself he'll be able to use it for good. The temptation overcomes him and he violently goes after the ring, which eventually costs him his life.

As I watched the beginning of the movie, already knowing the choice both characters were going to make, I kept thinking "I wish I were like Aragorn - but I know I'm more like Boromir." I wish I had a spotless past, but I don't. I've given into temptations, I've done things of which I'm not proud.

But although he fell into temptation, Boromir didn't stay in his "sin." Boromir may have stumbled, but he ended well! When he came to his senses, he was able to see the sin for what it really was, turned away from the sin and eventually gave his life fighting for what was right.

I talked about this in my message a couple weeks ago - it's not about whether or not we fall; it's about getting back up and following Christ!

The Apostle Paul wrote this in Philippians 3 - "12 I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it,* but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead,14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us."

None of us are sinless, but it's not too late to give the rest of our lives to holiness!

No comments: