Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gardner's Got Talent


Yes, as a matter of fact, we have a LOT of talent and it was on display last Saturday night. The acts ranged from improv to clogging, barbershop to 90's alternative rock. It was an incredible night!

We only had three acts show up at tryouts, thanks to the freezing rain and snow, so I had to recruit other acts like crazy. Even though I knew all of the acts that were performing, I was still
I was still completely surprised by the quality of the acts. I was also surprised by the size of the size of the crowd. The energy level stayed high during the entire 2 hour show and the crowd and the GCT board were pumped up after the show. It was a great way to kick off what, hopefully, can be an annual tradition. Erin and I also really enjoyed seeing the two communities that mean so much to us, GCT and TFC putting on an event together. It's also amazing to see how those two communities are coming together; people from TFC getting involved in GCT and GCT families connecting at TFC.

Our band performed 4 songs and they were as good as I've ever heard them. But not only did the band members perform, they also spent hours setting up and tearing down. Our band and the other tech guys were able to set up TWO full sound systems in slightly more than an hour. You can hear our band perform live at this link.

As I shared on Sunday, I don't know if I've ever been as proud of our church as I was on Saturday night. It was a great way for us to serve our community while also giving a little picture of our church. As a GCT board member and the pastor of the church that co-sponsored the show, I had the chance to share about TFC for a few seconds. Personally, I think I did a pretty good job sharing how we're a safe place in a brief and no-pressure manner.

Toward the end of the show, Franci Talamantez sang "Better" by Toby Lightman, dedicated to me, Erin and Dawson. The song brought tears to the eyes of my sweet wife; it's quite an emotional song about having a son.

After the show, I shared with our tech guys how I'd love it if this event was one of the things TFC became known for. They all enthusiastically agreed with that idea.

TFC was able to sponsor Gardner's Got Talent through our Growing Up Campaign.

No comments: