Monday, March 23, 2009

National Champs - Again

For the first time since well, last year, the Iowa wrestling team won the National Championship. For the first time since 1978, they won the team championship without winning any individual championships. In the upset of the century, Brent Metcalf was beaten in the finals. It happened with some dubious tactics, however. His opponent, Darrion Caldwell claimed back spasms, allowing him to take a 1:30 break. This break negated Metcalf's regular strategy of wearing out his opponents. Caldwell's back recovered well enough however, to do a celebratory back flip during the final seconds of the match. Metcalf didn't appreciate this too much and drilled Caldwell in mid-air. This cost Iowa a team point but the Hawks still edged Ohio State for their 22nd National Championship.
I found the match on Youtube, part 1 and part 2.

If you'd like to watch Metcalf drill Caldwell in mid-air, just watch this video.

Now, I'll admit, I'm not much of a wrestling fan. In fact, wrestlers freak me out. But I do know two things related to this sport; 1) It's my only chance to see University of Iowa and National Championship in the same sentence and 2) Iowa State has a consistent habit of coming in 2nd to the Hawkeyes. For those two reasons, I like wrestling.

No comments: