Thursday, July 25, 2013

Returned, Finally

In July of 2006, I was standing before the Notre Dame Cathedral, almost breathless with awe, when I placed my foot on the "point zero" of Paris.  I stepped on the metallic disc embedded in the stone while being fully aware of the fact that those who did so were guarantying their return to that exact same spot.  Well, 7 years, a bunch of french classes, some fundraising, an explanation to my wife as to why I thought it would be fun to take in the Parisian sights of the finish of the 100th Tour de France and a train ride from Chartres (where we are currently staying) later, I had finally returned to that exact spot.

Reveling in the culmination of a long journey, I exited the Metro at the Saint Michele stop (a few blocks away from Notre Dame) so as to allow time to relish the walk over the Seine and toward the Cathedral.  As I was 7 years earlier, I was almost breathless with anticipation.

After getting all of the pomp and circumstance out of the way, I proceeded to re-visit some sights that Erin and I had enjoyed 7 years ago as well as to take in some new sights.  Unlike the last time I was in Paris, I strolled along pretty casually, even taking time to wander through the Latin Quarter, knowing I will have plenty of time to explore this city with my family over the next year. 

As you've probably figured out, we've begun our year of serving on the France District with the Church of the Nazarene.  I plan to do a lot of blogging this year, but most likely not on this site, but rather on this site, http://millermissioncorps.wordpress.com/.

A tout l'heure.




No comments: