Friday, January 8, 2010

Patience

If you know me very well, you know that I pretty much suck at patience. Yes, I really, really suck at being patient. With that in mind, let me share a journal entry from Dec. 28th and 29th as I was working through a Daily Office.

12/28
Question from the book, "What is one area of your inner person that the fire of His presence might want to burn away?" I don't even have to think about this - impatience. From yelling at Erin when I thought the car door broke... end of entry.

12/29
Ironically, this entry was interrupted by Dawson waking from his nap. Which, of course, agitates my impatience. I picked him up and sat down on the couch, when he fell asleep on my shoulder for about 20 minutes. It's hard for me to sit still for 20 minutes. All I can think of is stuff I need to do. But it gave me a perspective, a perspective of God holding me. A perspective of the world not falling apart if I didn't do that stuff right then. Maybe that perspective is what patience is - being 'okay' in the moment. And I got one of the most precious times with my son I may ever experience in my life.

No comments: