Monday, April 9, 2012

Ruthless Trust

After my teaching stint ended, I received a Facebook message from a high school friend who is also a teacher and who shares my passion for nonviolence and kingdom-equality. She said something about how now that I'm experiencing the disillusionment of failing in an attempt to change the world, I needed to read Brennan Manning's book, Ruthless Trust. Now that I've finished the book, I am deeply grateful that the friend recommended the book. Here is a quote very appropriate to my situation.

"We formulate plans to fulfill what we perceive to be the purpose of our lives
(inevitably limited), and when the locomotive of our longings gets derailed, we
deem ourselves failures... Our disappointments arise from presuming to know
the outcome of a particular endeavor."

Yes. Nothing is wasted by God but things rarely happen the way we think they should. The same was true of Trinity Family; things didn't all happen the way I thought they should but God brought about beautiful things I never even thought to expect.

No comments: